The following is a summary of 10 tests for knowing that you know God’s love as preached by Martyn Lloyd-Jones in his sermon on 1 John 4:16. Specifically, they can be found in his collection of 1 John sermons entitled Life in Christ: Studies in 1 John published by Crossway. They are listed in reverse order. Following along in 1 John, we can submit that knowing God’s love equates to being His child, therefore our list can be evidences of genuine salvation.
10. A loss of the feeling that God is against you.
9. A loss of a fear of God, while a sense of awe remains.
8. A sense that God is for you and that God loves you.
7. A sense of sins forgiven.
6. A sense of gratitude and thanksgiving to God.
5. An increasing hatred of sin.
4. A desire to please God and to live a good life because of what He has done for you.
3. A desire to know Him better and to draw closer to Him.
2. A conscious regret that our love for Him is so poor combined with a desire to love Him more.
1. A delight in hearing these things and in hearing about Him.